Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crankin' 'em out...

I know, I'm not very diligent about my blogging lately...and even that's an understatement.  But I completed a task this morning that I thought might be worth sharing.  Perhaps somebody can learn something from it.





See that cute boy on the right?  (Ok, so the picture is a little grainy, but he's still cute!)  Well, he asked pretty please for his bubble blower in the bathtub this morning.  It has been broken for a couple of weeks now, even though it was pretty new - Uncle Branden and Aunt Pam and Hayden gave it to the twins for Christmas, and they loved it for the first few weeks, and then it all of a sudden quit blowing bubbles and would only sing.  He has asked for it every bath time.  Finally this morning I decided to prioritize things (dirty laundry and breakfast got moved down a notch) and tear it apart to see if I could fix it.



Here is the before picture.




Here is a picture during.  I pulled out about a hundred screws from the back of the thing to get it apart, and then had to pull about a hundred more out of the little motor housing (pretty technical term, eh?) which is the white box you see here.  I opened that box up a bunch of times, putting the gears together, turning things, making sure everything lined up, no teeth were broken,  no little rods had slipped out of place, nothing was catching.  I was certain of it.  I put the big cover on and took it off a couple of times to make sure everything was lining up there also.  Everything fit into place.  Nothing was loose.   Nothing stripped.  Switch worked fine.  No loose wires.  I put it back together - every screw in place to make it watertight as it was before.  Turned it on.  Same as before - music was fine, but the bubble wheel would not turn!  AArgh.

I did learn a lot after tearing that whole thing apart and messing with all of those gears and wires, though.  Next time try the batteries first.



 By the time I finally got the thing working, these poor chilluns were so cold their lips were turning blue and they didn't even get to put it to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment